Monday, September 27, 2010

NYFF 2010 - Day 3

Day 3 of the NYFF consisted of Michelangelo Frammartino's contemplative Le Quattro Volte and Lee Chang-Dong's followup to Secret Sunshine, the powerfully resonant, masterfully written and acted Poetry.

Before these two films, however, was the HBO Directors Dialogue with Apichatpong Weerasethakul and selection committee member Dennis Lim. There were well-chosen clips from his three most recent features as well as the short video/installation piece Primitive, which I had never seen before. To top off this event, I was able to get Joe to autograph my copy of James Quandt's essential book Apichatpong Weerasethakul. He was extremely gracious as he inscribed the pink inside front cover "For Jim with Love, Apichatpong W." which I will treasure forever. My last glimpse of him came later that evening as I spotted him walking to dinner with Richard Peña and other festival guests just after having dinner myself. It was a Zenlike convergence worthy of an Apichatpong film.

No comments:

Post a Comment