Thursday, July 23, 2009

Top Ten Lists




Even though I'm embarrassed by some of my naive wording in the brief descriptions, I'm posting a link to my 2004 Ten Best List from Senses of Cinema, the Australian online film journal. I would change the rankings around a bit, probably substitute Sansho the Bailiff for Ugetsu, etc., but I stand by all my choices today. I'd also like to make room for a few great films I've re-seen in the past year or so, namely Leo McCarey's Make Way for Tomorrow, Jacques Rivette's Celine and Julie Go Boating, and Chantal Akerman's Jeanne Dielman...


And perhaps I'll post a list soon of my favorite films since 1990, focusing particularly on the Iranian, Latin American and Asian renaissance represented by Abbas Kiarostami, Lucrecia Martel, Carlos Reygadas, Lisandro Alonso, Julian Hernandez, Hou Hsiao-Hsien, Tsai Ming-Liang, Jia Zhang-Ke, Edward Yang, Wong Kar-Wai, Apichatpong Weerasethakul, Hong Sang-Soo and Lee Chang-Dong.

No comments:

Post a Comment